YOUR HOME FOR CINCY AREA SPORTS
REDS, BENGALS, BEARCATS, BUCKEYES, MUSKIES, AND UK WILDCATS





SWO SPORTS

THE #1 CINCY SPORTS BLOG SINCE 2009

Search This Blog

4.21.2010

Edinson Volquez Suspended for 50 Games.

By:  Cooper Ledford

Reds pitcher, Edinson Volquez, was suspended for 50 games on Tuesday.  Volquez was suspended because of violation of the MLB's Drug Use Policy.  Volquez said that he was trying to start a family with his wife, and the drug he took was a prescription drug issued by his doctor in the Dominican Republic. 

“As a result, I tested positive when I reported to spring training,” he said. “Although I understand that I must accept responsibility for this mistake and have chosen not to challenge my suspension, I want to assure everyone that this was an isolated incident involving my genuine effort to treat a common medical issue.”

Volquez’s suspension starts Wednesday. He could be eligible to play starting June 15. Volquez was to make $445,000 this season, so barring rainouts the suspension will cost him $133,743.

“When he’s ready to pitch, he’ll be able to pitch,” general manager Walt Jocketty said.

He can serve part of his suspension while in rehab in Goodyear, Arizona. 

No comments:

Post a Comment