YOUR HOME FOR CINCY AREA SPORTS
REDS, BENGALS, BEARCATS, BUCKEYES, MUSKIES, AND UK WILDCATS





SWO SPORTS

THE #1 CINCY SPORTS BLOG SINCE 2009

Search This Blog

8.13.2009

Arroyo and MLB to have a "chat" about his supplements


By Bob Nightengale, USA TODAY
Major League Baseball plans to schedule a meeting with Cincinnati Reds right-hander Bronson Arroyo, vice president Rich Levin said Thursday, to discuss his comments to USA TODAY about taking supplements not approved by MLB.
"We just want to chat with him," Levin said, "just to make him aware of the (MLB-licensed) supplements out there."

ARROYO SPEAKS: Opens door on supplement use
It has yet to be determined whether Rob Manfred, executive vice president/labor and human resources, or a member of MLB's investigative staff will meet with Arroyo, Levin said. MLB does not plan to discipline Arroyo; it wants the opportunity to educate Arroyo about the dangers of taking unapproved supplements, Levin said.
Arroyo, 32, admitted in Thursday's USA TODAY that he takes as many as 16 supplements a day, some that have not been approved by baseball and cleared of contaminants such as steroids.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Cincinnati Reds Curt Schilling
"I have a lot of guys in (the locker room) who think I'm out of (my) mind because I'm taking a lot of things not on the (MLB-approved) list," Arroyo said. "I take 10 to 12 different things a day, and on the days I pitch, there's four more things. There's a caffeine drink I take from a company that (former teammate) Curt Schilling introduced me to in '05. I take some Korean ginseng and a few other proteins out there that are not certified. But I haven't failed any tests, so I figured I'm good."
He also described taking androstenedione and amphetamines before they were banned by baseball in 2004 and 2006, respectively.
Arroyo was scheduled to start for the Reds at home vs. Washington on Thursday night.

FOUND ON USATODAY.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment