YOUR HOME FOR CINCY AREA SPORTS
REDS, BENGALS, BEARCATS, BUCKEYES, MUSKIES, AND UK WILDCATS





SWO SPORTS

THE #1 CINCY SPORTS BLOG SINCE 2009

Search This Blog

2.28.2011

Reds And Phillips Talking About Extension

Reds 2B, Brandon Phillips says
"It would be nice to be here [Cincinnati]
for the rest of my career."
By:  Cooper Ledford


The Cincinnati Reds and Second basemen, Brandon Phillips, have been talking about a contract extension.  At least that's what the Cincinnati Enquirer says.  But, this may not be the Reds idea, it may be B-Phil's idea, with the help of his agent.

“That’s what I want,’ he said. “I want to stay here. I love it here. Love the city of Cincinnati. I love the fans. The Reds gave me a second chance to come here and live my dream. I’ve been blessed. I want to give back to the city. I want to be the type of person Barry Larkin was to the city. It would be nice to be here for the rest of my career.”


So, Phillips wants to stay in Chili Town (Sorry Gold Star, I think I just stole that from you, but don't worry, I like you better than Skyline--well not really, I am just saying that), but after the Reds have invested so much money in Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, and Bronson Arroyo, will they be able to afford him.  I dunno about you, but that quote sounded like he might just take a hometown discount.  They might need to save money for younger guys and plan for their future.  The guy is on the backside of his career, but then again, he had a nice 2010 season, and looks like he is 20 years old.  I mean, by no means is he the 30-30 man he used to be, but he is still a great all-around player.


We'll see what happens with Brandon Phillips.  The Reds plan to talk about this deal through Spring Training, but I doubt we'll see a deal done this season.  I think the Reds will wait and see how he does this season, and then talk up a deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment